Reading with your child
Reading together is the perfect opportunity for parent/carer and child to share some quiet, relaxed and quality time. Books help language and thinking, children learn about the world and books help develop their imagination.
Top Tips :
- Follow your child's lead and let them choose the book.
- Allow the child to touch the book, turn the pages, and just play with it if that's what they want to do.
- Be face to face - use facial expression, gestures and your voice to emphasise what's happening the the story e.g. happy or sad face, pointing.
- Give everything it's name, label and repeat!
- Instead of saying "whats that", comment on what's happening, say what you see and allow time for the child to respond.
- Have fun and don't focus on finishing the story.